We're biking across the United States to raise money for Gallaudet University's Personal Discovery Program, a 501(c)3 charity. If this is your first visit, please read our welcome page and how you can help page.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

400 plus miles in one day OK more like recovery

So this will be a short one too. Yesterday I really pushed it to get my
century ride in. Hmm I'm thinking I shouldn't try to do centuries in a
snowstorm while climbing up 6,000 feet. That ride really took a toll on my
body.

By the end I think everything hurt, but I will mention just a few things
here. My knees had sharp pains (yes both of them and in odd places too),
my shoulder had a knot that only hurt while I was breathing (I tried to
eliminate the breathing and was almost successful at about 9,000 feet), my
throat hurt, my feet were frozen, and I had a fever. Other than all that
I was fine. After sleeping in the back of the U-Haul, I woke up cold and
feeling worse. I think these mountains were not meant to be biked in at
this time of year. So Heather and I decided to postpone our insane trek
through these mountains until the middle of summer. Lucky for us we
already had a U-Haul.

I extended an invitation to my brother Alex to join us for a week of some
of the most difficult riding a person can do through these mountains.
Anyone reading this who thinks he should join us, now is your chance to put
in your 2 cents and encourage him to do it.

We drove the entire route by U-Haul today, so now I have a better idea of
what I am getting into. Tomorrow we will return the truck and start biking
again the day after that. We are both looking forward to the lower
elevations and the warmth of NOT being in the mountains. Our only concern
now will be avoiding those mean ol' tornados.

-dana

No comments: