We're biking across the United States to raise money for Gallaudet University's Personal Discovery Program, a 501(c)3 charity. If this is your first visit, please read our welcome page and how you can help page.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Jet Propulsion GO!

Haswell, CO to Tribune, KS
79 miles

I'm really enjoying this a lot more now. Spending time with Dana, seeing beautiful landscapes, and easy riding makes this a lot more fun. If you remember Dana's post from yesterday, he mentioned that someone spray painted messages for a previous group of cyclists. We saw more of those messages today, which provided good humor for us. Some of the messages included: "This way to more of nothing!" "lunch! 2.5 miles ahead" (of course, there was no lunch waiting for us), "I'm in a plain state of emotion".

Early this morning, we met Mark and his wife, whose name slips my memory right now. They biked from York, VA, and will be continuing on to Oregon. Their website is: trailjournals.com/stumpknocker. They also do other adventure trips, such as backpacking and running.

While riding today, I noticed every few minutes, Dana would yell something, then raise his fist in front of him, like Superman. I finally asked him what he was doing, and I guess everytime he *ahem* breaks wind, he yells "Jet propulsion GO!" and raises his fist in the air, in the hopes that the sudden explosion of gases will somehow make him go faster. I think he's been watching too many superhero movies. Nevertheless, it provided good entertainment for most of the day.

We crossed over into Kansas today, and it really reminds me of where I grew up. Lush green grass, flat land all the way to the horizon, cow farms or other crop farms everywhere, and trucks with stinky animals in the back. Okay, I can't really say I missed that, but it's a definite sign we're in the midwest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Heather. You totally cracked me up!!