We're biking across the United States to raise money for Gallaudet University's Personal Discovery Program, a 501(c)3 charity. If this is your first visit, please read our welcome page and how you can help page.

Thursday, May 3, 2007

BONK and Rebound

Sunday April 29
-dana
Well do any of you know what it means to "Bonk"? It is sorta like hitting
the wall or crashing. Well this morning started off ok, I was primed to
ride. Halfway into the day I bonked big time. I thought I may fall asleep
on the bike. I could not keep up with Heather at all. I think it has to
do with that muscle relaxer I took last night. I think I will not be
taking one of those again.

We lost our map! Luckily when we were in Tempe we made backup copies of
the front of the map. At least we know where we are going. The elevation
profile is on the back along with the phone number and address of all the
camping spots. This makes it difficult to plan our days in the mountains
because we have no idea when a big climb or descent is coming up.

Today we got a very late start (12:00) and we thought it would be flat all
day or maybe down hill. Oops! Today we had a 1,900 foot climb, what a
surprise that was. It was just about at the top where I bonked. Of
course, I had no idea we were at the top until I talked to a local guy
there just hanging out in his truck in front of the store. He told me we
had just six miles to go then it was all down hill from there. Well that
was a good motivator.

We took a long break at a store in a town called "The Gap" which as you
are going down the road with mountains on you left, right, and front the
town is in an obvious location. Right at the big gap in the mountain. The
town is aptly named. After talking to the local guy a couple of
motorcyclists pulled up.

Generally, I don't make an effort to talk with bikers. I think all the
leather and loud engines scare me. But this group had an air of
uncertainty and it was two husband and wife groups. that made me feel more
comfortable. They seemed pretty safe. Much to my surprise, one of them
was born and raised in Santa Monica, CA (close to where we live). No
wonder I liked them. The conversation was a brief standard one.

Them: "Where you going?"
Me "Going to Washington, DC and coming from LA"
Them: "Wow that is amazing. How long do you think it will take?"
Me: "About 2 or 2 1/2 months"
Them: *Shocked look*

That is the basics for almost every conversation we have. I must say
though it does not get old to see their expressions.

We have been looking forward to Colorado. The reason being is that I heard
it is a super bicycle friendly state! Well that rumor was just solidified
tonight. As we rolled into Marble Canyon, AZ after our 71 mile, 1,900 foot
climb and decent, we met some people. This husband and wife team are
starting a 16 day trip down the Colorado river. After finding out we were
going through Bolder, CO they offered their house as a place to stay. They
said they may not be there but their house sitter will be there and they
wrote a little introduction note to the house sitter. We were shocked and
amazed and thankful for meeting such wonderful people. After a 71 mile
ride and such a late start it was a welcome end.

Some of you may be wondering why we stayed in a hotel last night and
tonight. Well the truth is we do enjoy camping and getting to meet people.
The problem is around the Grand Canyon most of the campgrounds don't open
until mid May. We are not against stealth camping either but it is
difficult with fences next to the road and flat desert brush all around.
So we are just hopping from hotel to hotel until we get away from this
tourist attraction and start seeing some open campgrounds.

Well I am still sort of out of it here so I better get some sleep before
morning. I hope you all are having as fabulous a time as we are.

No comments: