We're biking across the United States to raise money for Gallaudet University's Personal Discovery Program, a 501(c)3 charity. If this is your first visit, please read our welcome page and how you can help page.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tired after a long day

Farmington, MO to Murphysboro, IL
80 miles

We had quite a long ride today, but were well prepared for it. We said goodbye *sniff*sniff* to my parents and they headed back to South Dakota. We are so thankful they came out and took care of us.

As we were taking a break at a gas station, a coca-cola truck arrived and unloaded some drinks. He asked us the usual about where we were headed, etc. Then he donated 8 cans of Coolah energy drink to us. For those who don't know me well, I never drink coffee, and rarely drink pop with caffeine. I knew it wouldn't be a good idea to drink one, but I couldn't let it go to waste. We each downed one, then hit the road. A few minutes later, Dana asked me if I felt the energy rush yet. "Nope, not one bit," I replied as I sped ahead of him at 20 mph. I really hadn't noticed, but Dana sure did. After lunch and a couple of hours later, I completely bonked. I knew this wasn't a good idea. I ate a Snickers, but there really wasn't much else I could do but to continue pedaling at 5 mph.

At one point, I watched a baby cow look up at me, then run off in the opposite direction. I assume there must be something about slow-moving objects that really scare cows. Anyway, it took off running right into his mother, who was standing right next to him. I don't know if it's because I was so tired or what, but I found this outrageously funny.

We finally (slowly) made it to Tania's (Dana's cousin) place, and she's taking good care of us. I'm completely exhausted, so I look forward to passing out and getting a good night's rest.

No comments: