We're biking across the United States to raise money for Gallaudet University's Personal Discovery Program, a 501(c)3 charity. If this is your first visit, please read our welcome page and how you can help page.

Monday, May 7, 2007

Over a huge mountain

Cedar City, UT to Henrieville, UT
93 miles

So, Dana tackled one of the biggest mountains we will experience on this trip. He climbed 4,000 feet to a top summit of 10,000 feet. I drove the U-Haul as he biked. Every hour or so, I would drive until I caught up with him, then pull over at the next area, wait for him to catch up, then he would come inside, thaw out, and eat. Let me tell ya, just from driving th U-Haul, I could feel the hills, wind, and cold. I am so glad we decided on renting a U-Haul (which is actually cheaper than renting a car). Dana biked through some 14 mph headwinds and a lot of snow. And this wasn't the "melt-when-it-hits-the-ground" type, this snow was a foot thick in some areas.

When we first saw these mountains, we were in awe at all the beauty it provides. However, after climbing over so many mountains, I can't help but develop a love/hate relationship with them. I really love to hate mountains right now. In fact, I think they're the ugliest things on the planet. Dana had a great idea that they should build bridges from the top of one mountain to the top of another. Then we wouldn't have to go down and back up. I think they should build tunnels, so that we can go underneath all of them.

Dana is really tired after his long day. He really wanted to push it to 100 miles today, but the last 7 miles were all uphill, so he quit for the day. I bet he'll sleep real well tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy crazy crazy. So glad you both are ok. :)

Mom said...

I am so glad you are safe and okay. I worry so much about the two of you. I keep you in my prayers and send extra angels to guard and watch over you. I love you both!!!